UBU Residency 5th Graders:
- Hey Mr. David, thanks for telling me about this. The depression I used to have is slowly going away. I'm still trying to love myself but at least I love myself at least a little bit.
- I like making music and making songs. My treasure chest is in my heart.
- Mr. David, I understand resilience better. Thank you!
- Dear Mr. David, I like it that you showed me what is my purpose in life.
- I like when we talked about the treasure chest words and played the imagination game.
- I like how we all made a song!
- I enjoyed The UBU Project. I learned all the treasure chest words, hope resilience, self-compassion, empathy and... the treasure is in your heart.
- I really liked the music that we wrote.
- Dear Mr. David, I enjoyed learning the treasure chest words. Thanks to you I have a better understanding of the four words. You also helped me dig up the treasure chest. Thank you for everything you've done for us.
- Thank you for teaching great things.
UBU 5th/6th Graders:
- You helped me learn that it wasn't my fault my friends ditched me. It was nobody's fault because they could be going through something and I understand that. You taught me self-compassion that helped me a lot. Thank you :-)
- I've learned that there is hope in life, you deserve to treat yourself with love and respect, you should always have resilience and empathy.
- This week has been fun!
- I loved how you made this class goofy and fun. I liked how you gave everyone a chance to express their opinions.
- Thank you for showing me that it is so important to take care of myself. Also, how good it feels to make other people feelgood about themselves. (also... UBU) :-)
- Dear Mr. David, I think you were an exceptional teacher. For some unorthodox reason I found myself immediately trusting you. I struggle with trusting myself so this was particularly odd for me.
UBU Residency 6th Graders:
- Knowing the meaning of self-compassion makes me feel better.
- I think what you do is awesome. You help so many people. I can only speak for myself but you have done amazing things for me and it helped me with fun and cool things.
- I learned that the treasure chest (Hope, Resilience, Self-Compassion, Empathy) is always inside you no matter what.
- I learned a lot about self-compassion and sometimes that it is just the little things you do for yourself.
- I love that you gave everyone a chance to answer the treasure chest words.
- I have loved having you at our school. You don't know my name but I had a brain tumor in kindergarten and in 5th grade. I have a growth hormone test on Monday and it has been worrying me. But with the song and treasure chest words it is helping me move step by step. Thank you so much. Thank you a million!
UBU Jr. High Students:
- Gracias por todo!
- Thank you so much Mr David for coming to our school and telling your story to us. I really appreciate how much you have inspired me this week and I hope that we will meet again. ... PS: I have also been depressed and felt like there is no point to life. With you inspiring me, I feel that there is.
- This has certainly been a life changing class. You have taught not only me but everyone else what it is to love yourself and to care about one another. This is the age where we start learning and going through hard times, and this class has helped us to be resilient. Thank you for everything.
- Something I learned this week is that we don't have to change to fit in.
- You have taught me to be nice and to never doubt myself and to always be nice to myself. The song we made was pretty cool and how we made it in one week and all of us did it!
- Thank you for being here for us and I just wanted to thank you so much.
- The first time I heard you sing I got really happy.
Various UBU High School Students:
- The UBU Project's suicide prevention program is much more than a suicide prevention program. It is a celebration of life!
- Erin B, High School Senior - It's a hopeful message
- Alissa, 17 - I loved being able to contribute to something bigger than I am. You’re very inspirational David.
- Taylor, 16 - I found that David’s ability to include everyone was very effective
- Leia, HS Senior - I found the collaborative aspect to be the most fun and it was cool to see various ideas bounce around
- Frank, 16 - You were very positive and open to new ideas.
- Spencer, 17 - The level of interaction and creativity. It allowed a lot of people to open up